Posts Tagged ‘Health’

virus

A MYSTERIOUS new disease is afflicting children in the United States. It starts as a cold — but ends as weakness and paralysis. Does polio have a twin? Or are several new, potentially debilitating, viruses on the loose?

In the past 12 months, more than 118 children across 34 US states have been reported with a condition called “acute flaccid myelitis”.

It’s a condition that seems to start out as a respiratory infection like a serous bout of the common cold.

In these cases the muscle pain doesn’t go away. Then they lose their strength in their arms and legs.

While such symptoms are enough to panic any parent, disease experts say the cause does not appear to be particularly infectious.

But the number of cases seeking hospitalization in the US has raised eyebrows.

Early suspicions have fallen on the viruses which belong to the family we know as the common cold, the rhinoviruses.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have named enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) as the chief suspect.

But new figures show only 20 per cent of the known cases in the US tested positive for D68 — and it isn’t certain if this virus is linked to the paralysis anyway.

Enterovirus C105 is something new. It was first detected in patients from Peru and the Republic of Congo in 2010. The Congo case also suffered paralysis.

It’s now thought to be circulating worldwide.

Dr Turner says his six-year-old patient may simply be the first known case in the US because the C105 virus is particularly hard to detect.

Dr Senanayake says its ties to polio makes guilt by association understandable.

What makes the polio virus different — and deadly — is that it is highly contagious. A century ago, polio paralyzed hundreds of thousands of children every year. But it infected many more.

Are these immigrant children that are coming to the U.S. receiving vaccinations that are mutating with a normally harmless virus into a new virulent strain?

Source: [news.com.au]

vaccine

A woman who became the first person to die of the measles in the U.S. in 12 years had been vaccinated against the disease, it has been revealed.  Health officials said she had the injection as a child but succumbed because she had a compromised immune system.

The non-elderly female patient, who passed away in the spring, lacked some of the measles’ common symptoms, such as a rash, so the infection was not discovered until an autopsy, Washington State Department of Health spokesman Donn Moyer said.

Measles is highly contagious and spreads when an infected person breathes, coughs or sneezes. However, dying from it is extremely rare, Moyer said.

Source: [Daily Mail]

Brittany Williams, a 23 year old mom from Dallas, Texas in the United States was participating in a mud run event earlier this month when she was exposed to a flesh-eating disease that caused her to go blind in one eye within 24 hours.

Expecting nothing more than a fun day mucking about with her fiancé, Rob, Brittany was surprised when she started experiencing severe pain and vision loss in her left eye. Speaking to CBS DFW, Brittany explained that at first she didn’t think it was anything serious, assuming that some dirt may have got trapped in her eye. When she opened her eye “the whole room was white” and she knew something was seriously wrong.


Source: [health24]

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. – A Hillsborough County man, visiting Mississippi has become the third Florida resident to die from Vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria that lives in warm seawater. The man contracted the deadly bacterial infection from seawater exposure while in Mississippi.

Florida health officials say they’ve had 10 cases this year and four deaths. Advisories have warned people to avoid eating raw shellfish and urged anyone with open wounds or scratches to stay out of the water. In severe cases, the vibrio bacteria can break down the skin, requiring surgery, amputation or even causing death, hence the misnomer “flesh eating bacteria.”

In 2014, there were 32 Vibrio vulnificus cases in Florida. Of those cases, four involved Pinellas County residents, three involved Hillsborough County residents, two involved Sarasota County residents, Polk, Pasco and Citrus Counites each had one case. In 2014, seven Floridians died from Vibrio vulnificus, all lived outside of the Tampa Bay area except one victim who lived in Sarasota, according to state health records.

Meanwhile, Texas beaches are reporting spurts of enterococci bacteria (feces) due to heavy rains upstream. The bacteria is not deadly but you can contract a urinary tract infection or meningitis.

H/T:(DAHBOO777)

Source: [wfla]

Michelle Rowton of Nurses Against Mandatory Vaccinations (NAMV, http://www.namv.org) revealed in an InfoWars interview on May 1, 2015 that it was well known amongst medical professionals that vaccinating preemies and low birth weight infants “on schedule” would immediately result in adverse effects post-immunization. A month later, on June 1, 2015, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) published a study that verified not only the risks of adverse events to low birth weight infants, but also confirmed the callous attitude of the medical community to the harm their rigid vaccine schedule inflicted.

A toxic algae bloom spreading off the Pacific coast could be the largest one scientists have ever seen.

You wouldn’t know it by looking — the bloom consists of microscopic algae that give the water a vague brown-green cast — but chemical analyses and satellite images show that a large swatch of the ocean is being overtaken by a single-celled algae called Pseudo-nitzschia that produces domoic acid, a powerful neurotoxin.

“Currently what we’re seeing is this large bloom taking place from about Santa Barbara all the way up to Alaska,” said Kudela, who is leading a study on harmful algal blooms funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association. “We’ve been keeping track since the beginning of May.”

Domoic acid accumulates in small fish and shellfish at the bottom of the food web, which are then eaten by mammals and birds — and sometimes humans. Consuming too much domoic acid overstimulates the nervous system, causing animals to become lethargic or disoriented. It can also lead to seizures and death.

The dangers of domoic acid have been well known and closely monitored since 1987 when a number of people died from eating Prince Edward Island mussels that were loaded with the toxin.

A list of biotoxin and sanitary fisheries closures in Canada can be found on the Fisheries and Oceans website pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

Californians have been advised to steer clear of all anchovies and sardines, as well as recreationally harvested mussels and clams fished in Monterey or Santa Cruz counties. The internal organs of crabs — also known as “crab butter” — should be avoided, according to the state Department of Public Health.

Source: [CBS News]

Wearable Mood Controller

Posted: June 22, 2015 in Tech
Tags: ,

Mad Cow Showing Up in America

Posted: June 13, 2014 in Tech
Tags:

cows

WASHINGTON – Fruitland American Meat, a Jackson, Mo. establishment is recalling approximately 4,012 pounds of fresh beef products because the dorsal root ganglia may not have been completely removed, which is not compliant with agency regulations that require their removal in cattle 30 months of age and older, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced.

(more…)